Not this year.
Not because I don't have goals. I do.
But I'm tired of finding myself at year end explaining why I haven't met my goals.
There are often good reasons and a few excuses, often of a personal nature.
Neither matter when the outcome is the same: Goal. Not. Met.
Some might call this avoidance, but that's not what I'm feeling. I need and want goals. I just want to keep things simple and focused.
I was trying to find the words to encapsulate what I was feeling when I saw this tweet from author Sandie Bricker: My advice as you enter the new year: You can't reach for anything new if your hands are still full of yesterday's junk! Let it go. Onward!
So I'm letting go of the 2011 goals I didn't meet and moving onward.
I did accomplish some writerly things of which I am proud.
In 2011, I managed to:
- Get published in the 2011 Writer's Market
- Complete NaNoWriMo
- Judge the 2011 INSPY awards
- Reduce my reading obligations
- Query an editor
- Publish my 1,000th blog post
- Complete the Miranda Parker/Shelia Goss writing workshop: How to Plot Your Novel and Bring Your Characters to Life and become part of a very cool support group of writers.
- Earn some money freelancing with at least one editor contacting me for story ideas and continued work.
- Final in two freelance writing contests.
There might be more but I can't think of it right now.
Bottomline, it wasn't a bad year.
My focus for 2012?
Don't you love the simplicity?
Really, I've got three things on my mind this year as far as personal goals: eat smaller portions, exercise daily, and write daily.
That's all. I will track my progress on all fronts. Along the way, I will likely set other short term goals, like entering a contest, querying an agent, writing X number of words in a month, and ushering my oldest through the college admissions process, but these remain my two biggies.
Eat Less. Move More. Write Always.
Wouldn't that look great on a T-shirt?
What are your goals, writing or otherwise, for 2012? (Even if I'm not setting my own, I'd love to cheer you on as you accomplish yours.)
Peace & Blessings,
Stay focused. Be deliberate. Believe.